Since December last year I've been working on a set of school banners for a Perth junior school. There are actually two sets of eight banners, so 16 banners all up. That's been a massive project, considering that Jason was born right near the beginning of it all.
Two weeks ago, at 5pm on Saturday afternoon, I made the last stitch on the last banner. What a great feeling! Monday was spent photographing them, and packaging them, and on the Tuesday, the kids and I delivered them. Thankfully the school is extremely pleased with them! And to celebrate, the kids and I went for frozen yoghurt treats afterwards- there had to be some compensation for the two-and-a-half hour round trip for delivery!
Since then I've been dealing with the empty hole that comes from completing a long and major project. I'm trying very hard not to fill that 'hole' back up with busyness just yet!
Progress on the school banners has been huge over the past couple of weeks. July at our house means Tour de France for Phil and Tour de Stitch for me. The little TV comes out of storage and gets set up in the corner of my studio near the couch. Phil enjoys the tour while I enjoy the longer evenings of sewing. It's our little winter 'holiday' – late nights, red wine and chocolate.
So I've been stitching like someone possessed. Twelve banners are pieced, and layered, and eleven of those have been ditch-stitched. I feel like the biggest part of this job is behind me now. I probably shouldn't think like that, though – finishing off (trimming, binding, burying threads, attaching the hanging sleeve and labelling) always takes longer than I anticipate. But at least in my head, it feels like these are all working out well.
Oh, and I had some gorgeous company while taking these photos…
I think I've already mentioned here that I'm working on a new set of banners for a Perth school? It's a big project. So far six are pieced, but there are 16 altogether so I have a way to go still!
And here they are at the DCP in Armadale. And I have to say I'm awfully pleased with how this has turned out. You almost need to touch the vinyl to be convinced that this is a photo rather than the original!
It's always a good feeling to complete an artwork, but it's also feels great to get stuck into new projects. In the past couple of weeks I've started cutting out my newest batch of art quilts – a set of sixteen banners for a Perth school. Yes, sixteen. You might remember the banners I made a couple of years ago. These are a similar idea.
The title of this post says 'commencing', but actually, this project began late last year with the consultation process. We've emailed back and forth for several months to come up with suitable designs and to fine tune them to the client's requirement. This is the first time I have completed this stage completely without face-to-face meetings, and am pleased to experience how well it can work this way!
This is obviously a big project, so I've broken it down into tasks to complete each day or week. For example, I can reasonably cut out one banner per day. I'm counting on piecing one banner per week, although I have to wait and see whether or not that turns out to be too ambitious. Loosely scheduling tasks like this helps me to make continual progress on a project that could otherwise be overwhelming or all-consuming.
I have a few more days of cutting out ahead of me, and then I'm looking forward to starting the piecing.